Monday, April 18, 2011

Wait- it's almost Easter?

Last week Mike had to go out of town for a few days. Thankfully the boys and I survived, and even did pretty well. On Saturday the boys and I went over to Mike's mom and step-dad's house to do a little early Easter celebrating.

First we had a delicious lunch from Panera (my favorite!). Then while Jake hung out with Grandpa Curt,


Drew and Zach hunted for Easter goodies.


Shortly thereafter we decided to dye eggs. Thank goodness Grandma Linda and Grandpa Curt were on top of this, because I hadn't really put much (or any) thought into when we were going to dye eggs. Dying eggs with the boys is like frosting sugar cookies with them- I would love to take my time and make them neat and pretty, but- who am I kidding?- they're 3 and 5 years old. They want to drop the eggs in the dye and move on to the next one. They care a little bit about how pretty they are, but not too much.


Drew is like me in one regard when it comes to dying eggs- he likes dying them, but not really eating them. Zach, on the other hand, LOVES hard-boiled eggs. I think he ranks them right up there with candy and other desserts. He'd eat 5 in a row if I'd let him. He decided he had to taste one of these right after we dyed it. You can see what he thought of it.


Mike got back Saturday evening, and we had a nice evening. On Sunday we actually made it to church- something we haven't been great at since Jake's been born. Drew walked in and woke us up at 7:08, and amazingly, we made it to church just in time for the 8:00 start. I'm not gonna lie- I think it's pretty darn impressive that Mike and I were able to both shower and get ourselves and 3 kids under age 6 ready and out the door in less than an hour. Later in the day Mike and the bigger boys went to the driving range and then Zach got to go to a bowling birthday party.

That evening we had our small group from church over, and I was inspired by the season, so I made these little nests for dessert.


The kids loved the treats, but Drew wasn't into the Peep on top, which surprised me. Zach was happy to eat what was left of Drew's chick, though.

Next weekend the festivities will continue with an Easter egg hunt at the club on Saturday, lunch with Mike's dad and step-mom on Sunday, dinner with our small group Sunday night, and church somewhere in there. Oh, and of course the Easter bunny will be visiting our own house. I did manage to get Jake's Easter basket ready this weekend, too. So although I haven't been very on top of things as far as Easter is concerned (I'm still not sure what I have for their Easter baskets, and I've put no thought into special Easter outfits for the boys), at least I don't think the boys will have any complaints.

No comments: