Sunday, September 25, 2011

A Very Brief Update

I have a few things to update you on.

First, Zach sort of remembered the whole sleep-walking/potty incident that I posted about last. When I asked him the next morning if he remembered anything happening the night before, he said, "No, what?" When I said, "You pottied on your floor." He said, "Oh, yeah. I sorta remember. I kept stepping in it." That was weird, because as far as I knew he never stepped in it. So when I asked for clarification, he said he got up a couple of times after that to go to the bathroom and stepped in the spot then, which I had tried to soak up and treat with some carpet cleaner, so it was still damp.

Second, at Jake's 9 month appointment, we found out that he is still skinny. He really doesn't look that skinny, but he's also not a kid who has rolls on his thighs or anything. He weighed 17 lbs. 13 oz., which put him in the 9th percentile, down from the 11th percentile a month ago. But he gained 2 lbs. 3 oz. in the last 3 months, and the pediatrician said average is 2 lbs., so that was good. He also grew 2.5 inches in the last 3 months, putting him at 29.5 inches, the 82nd percentile. So he's long and skinny, I guess. As a reference point, at 9 months Zach was only 28 inches long (42nd percentile) and weighed 18 lbs. 6 oz. (18th percentile), and Drew was 28.5 inches long (56th percentile) and weighed 20 lbs. (40th percentile), so Jake is the longest but skinniest, I guess.

Finally a couple of funny things Zach and Drew have said recently:
-We've been teaching/playing So Big to Jake. Yesterday at lunch we must have recently done it, and then moved on, but I think Zach was still playing it with Jake. Then Mike was getting after Zach to quit messing around and just eat his lunch, and Zach said, "How irritating is Dad? Sooooo irritating!" in the perfect So Big kind of sing-song voice. It was pretty funny.
-At the breakfast table on Friday morning, Drew said, "Zach, will you miss me when I die?" Zach replied, "Well, Drew, I'll probably die before you, because I'm older than you." Drew talks about death a lot lately. He's asked if when Maggie and Foudy (our 11 & 10 year-old dogs) die he can please get a baby pig. And when that baby pig dies, he wants to get another dog. Anyway, after asking Zach that, he said, "I don't want to die, ever!" I told him that everybody dies, talked up heaven, and explained that he probably wouldn't die for a long, long time. A few hours later, he said, "Mom, one time you gave me something that will make me die." Confused, I said, "I did?" He said, "Yep. These," and he pointed at something on his placemat. Still confused, I said, "What?" Drew said, "You gave me these colored Cheerios (here was a picture of Froot Loops on the placemat he was using) one time at church, and they'll make me die because they have so much sugar in them."
-I'm trying to find new finger foods for Jake to eat since he's pretty much done with eating baby food. Today I opened a can of organic great northern beans. Zach and Drew like black beans, so I gave them some of these great northern beans with their dinner. Drew ate one and said, "I like black beans, and now I like vanilla beans!"

No comments: