Thursday, June 3, 2010

Grandpa Kevin's 60th

On Tuesday Mike's dad turned 60. On Sunday Mike's little sister Katherine came home from college for the summer, so we decided to celebrate by getting together on Monday at a place called Big Creek and going out on a pontoon boat for a couple of hours. We got lucky with gorgeous weather that evening.

We were all excited to see Katherine and Sam again, and we're looking forward to spending some time with them this summer, if they're not too busy!


Zach and Drew enjoyed helping Grandpa drive the boat.



Drew got a little restless on the boat, but managed to stay entertained by walking around, looking for birds and alligators, and hiding out in this little cubby.


Katherine and Sam grilled us some yummy burgers, and we had some other goodies, too, as we floated around on the water.

Here's Grandpa Kevin with his 2 grandsons when we got done. Pretty cute, don't ya think?!


That was Monday. On Tuesday evening the whole gang came over after Zach's first t-ball practice for some cake and present-opening. Drew couldn't wait to help Grandpa open his Lightning McQueen wrapped present. Imagine that.


Zach's birthday is next week and his friend party is this weekend, and I wanted to practice my idea for his Jolly Roger cake, so I decided to give my technique a try on Kevin's cake. I'm glad I did, too, because I found that my plan wasn't so great, which you'll notice in the picture of Kevin's cake. It isn't real pretty. Thankfully Kevin didn't mind me using his cake as a guinea pig cake, and the decorating didn't affect the taste at all. I'm still trying to figure out just how I'll do Zach's cake, and the party is on Saturday, so I need to get it figured out tomorrow!


Grandpa Kevin enjoyed his birthday presents, which were mostly golf-themed. We all enjoyed the cake and ice cream and each other's company before everybody had to leave to beat a big storm that was rolling through. We hope you had a great birthday, Grandpa Kevin! Thanks for letting us celebrate with you!

No comments: