Monday, February 2, 2009

High Hopes

Two things Zach recently informed me he plans to do when he "gets big"-

1. Take pills
2. Shoot birds

Yep, we've got some high aspirations here.  The taking pills part comes from the 3 pills I take every day- a vitamin, folic acid, and fish oil.  I don't know why he thinks that seems fun, but whatever.  I'm not sure where the shooting birds part comes from.  When he told me this, we were in the grocery store, and I was a little dumbfounded, because I don't think Zach has ever really heard anyone talk about hunting or anything.  So when he said, "Mom, when I get big, I'm going to shoot birds," I said, "Why?"  I'm not against hunting, but it's not something that I will probably encourage with my boys, unless they bring it up first.  He didn't really know how to answer my question, so next I said, "Well, shooting a bird would hurt it," and Zach thought for a minute and said, "Well, what's shooting?" which brought a smile to my face.  Classic case of a kid wanting to do something when he doesn't even know what it is.  I don't even know how I answered him.  I can see we're at the point where we're going to start having more questions about things like shooting, killing, dying, etc., especially with Zach being in preschool now and being around other kids, and I'm not looking forward to it.  I wish I could shield him from all things violence-related forever, but I know that's completely unrealistic.  I wonder if moms of girls have this dilemma ever...


1 comment:

Laura said...

yes, moms of girls do have these dilemmas. We've had to talk repeatedly to Avery about death, dying, illness and such. We recently had a death in the family and she asked a lot of questions....hard questions. I wonder if there comes an age for parents where those 'hard' questions get easier to answer.