Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Just Drew

I started this post last week because Drew was doing some funny things that I wanted to remember.   I feel kind of bad writing a post just about him and not at all about Zach, but over the course of the last 11 months, Zach's probably gotten more press here than Drew, so oh well.  And, Drew turns 15 months old on the 5th, so this can be in honor of that.  For once it's mostly text and few pictures.

Things Drew is doing lately that I enjoy:

-He loves music. There are 4 songs in particular that I notice he likes. They are:
-Say Hey I Love You by Michael Franti & Spearhead- He starts bouncing up and down, "dancing" to the music.
-You Are the Best Thing by Ray LaMontagne- Again, he dances to this as soon as it starts. I didn't realize this until one day the song came on and Zach said, "It's one of our favorites!" And from that day forward I noticed that Drew loved to dance to it.
-Any Man of Mine by Shania Twain- Zach loves Shania because of the things she does in her songs, like laughing and saying things like "Ow!" and "Woo" and such. In Any Man of Mine, there are a few music notes and then a big, high-pitched "Hoo!"and every time that song comes on, Drew does the "Hoo!" just a second or two before Shania does it. The first time I thought itw as just a coincidence, but it happens every time we hear that song. I shouldn't be surprised, because Zach requests that song a lot in the car.
-Rags by Sharon, Lois, and Bram- This is a children's song about a dog named Rags, and Drew just gets all happy when it comes on.

-Lately I've been getting Zach ready for his nap first. Drew likes to hang out on Zach's bed with us while we read. He sort of just messes around with Zach's stuffed animals and stuff. But as soon as we're done reading and I turn on Zach's noisemaker, Drew leans down to Zach and gives him a big kiss on the mouth (a nice, wet, open-mouth baby kiss). And as we walk out of Zach's room he says, "Bye" in his sweet little voice.

-He screams in excitement every time he sees a truck, van, bird, dog, animal of any sort, flag, basektball hoop, Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends, and who knows what else.

-Speaking of Thomas, yesterday I was getting Zach dressed, and the underwear I put on him had Thomas right on the butt. Drew saw this and got really excited, and he screamed and pointed at Zach's butt. Then we put jeans on and went into the bathroom to brush his teeth. Drew followed us in and was trying to see Zach's little butt (which was sitting on a stepstool) so he could see Thomas again.

-He now also says ball. Yesterday he was looking at his pajama pants, which have all different kinds of balls on them, and he said, "Baah." Today he noticed that Zach's navy blue quilt has basketballs stitched on it, and he did the same thing. And I think he's saying "Dada," too.

-Drew loves the library. He especially loves the little cockatoos there, and he has his own conversations with them. He seriously matches their pitch, too, which is quite ear-piercing. Today at the library Drew and I were playing, and he tooted a few times. I said to him, "Are you tooting? That's stinky!" and it really was. He sat there for a minute with a little half-smile, tooted again, and then put his hand up to his nose, like he was pinching it. It was quite funny.

-When he sleeps, he lays directly on top of Bridgette, his stuffed alligator. Sometimes he rolls off of her, but he is almost always cuddling her. It's precious. Here are some pictures to give you an idea.




-Drew loves to play chase. All I have to say is, "I'm going to get you!" and he gets this big grin and starts walking as fast as his little legs can carry him.

-I've probably said it before, but this kid loves books. Zach has always loved books, too, but I don't remember him loving them this much this early. Drew also is very opinionated about what books we read before naptime and bedtime. If I don't pick the right one, he slides off my lap and picks the one he wants. That's something I don't remember Zach doing that early, either. Drew is constantly bringing me these 2 Thomas books to read, and if you know anything about Thomas books, you know they're not usually written with a 15 month-old audience in mind. But he insists on reading them, so I usually make up my own words to go with the pictures, because otherwise Drew would sit for about one page and be done because there are just too many words for his attention span.

-When Drew sees a picture of a fire truck or sees a toy fire truck, he does his own little high-pitched wail for the siren.

-Drew loves to lay down flat on the floor, face and everything, when playing with toys. It's like he just wants to check out how his toy works and get a different perspective of it. Too bad I don't have a picture of it. Mental note- take a picture of this.


Ok, I could go on and on with things I want to remember about Drew because I just love that kid so much, but I've got to get up before 5:00 tomorrow morning, so I should just go to bed.

2 comments:

Adam and Jaime said...

Cute! It is fun to read a lot about Drew too! I think he and Gretta would get along really well, they seem to have many similarities. When we move back to the west side, we'll have to do a playdate!

zinncaulfield said...

enjoyed the post.