Monday, September 29, 2008

Ewww

This afternoon Zach and I were washing his hands after he went potty before his nap.  He told me this hilarious story-
"One time, when I was going potty, I slipped and my arms went into the potty.  It was up to my elbows on both sides!"

Mike had just told me this story this morning.  Apparently last night while I was out with some girlfriends, Zach was getting pretty fussy as he was getting ready for bed.  As he getting ready to go potty, his foot slipped or something and one arm landed in the toilet.  Gross.  Zach then flipped out about it, crying that he hurt his hip, though really Mike thought it just scared him.  He also seemed to think it was a little gross.  Thankfully he hadn't gone potty yet. 

Anyway, as Zach told me the story this afternoon, I just could not stop laughing.  Then I thought about it again as we finished reading his pre-nap story and were laying there snuggling, and I could not stop laughing.  Not a good thing when you're trying to get your toddler into sleep-mode.  

So after I got Zach down for his nap I went downstairs to start some cleaning up.  Drew was amazingly still asleep.  I was dusting in the living room and I noticed some marks on the wall in the corner where Zach likes to hide.  Upon closer inspection, I realized they weren't just marks, they were boogers.  YUCK.  I hate boogers.  I was MAD.  I've gotten after him for wiping boogers on the wall in his room and on his pants, carseat, etc.  I know picking noses is something all little kids do, and I don't think Zach does it anymore than any other kid, but still, it's gross.  I suppose I should be happy he's not eating his boogers, but I'm just so grossed out by finding them in random places.  I decided not to clean them off the wall yet because I wanted to talk to Zach about it.

After Zach got up from his nap, I took him over to the corner and pointed at the marks and said, "Zach, what're these?"  Zach very seriously said, "Boogers.  I'm sorry, Mom,"  as he gently put his hand on my elbow.  It was all I could do to not bust up laughing right then and there, but I was determined to continue this conversation in a calm and serious manner.  So instead of laughing, I told him how yucky that was and asked what we do with boogers, to which he replied, "We put them in a kleenex."  I then threatened that if I find boogers on any walls, furniture, etc., again, I will temporarily take away his helicopters.  That was a total spur-of-the-moment consequence that I thought of as I was talking.  He really loves these 2 toy helicopters he has, so I thought that'd be some incentive.  I also made him show Daddy when Mike got home from work.  As soon as Zach told Mike what they were and Mike looked at me with a grin, I busted out laughing and had to cover it up by pretending like I was coughing.  I just can't keep a straight face sometimes.  Of course both this incident and the toilet story came to mind while I was at my kickboxing class tonight and I couldn't stop laughing again.  I think I was the only person in the class with a dumb grin on my face.

It's funny how a 3 year-old can do such gross things, but still bring such a smile to my face at the exact same time...





1 comment:

Goldenzinns said...

And did you have him clean them off? He should be taught to clean up after himself.
I can just imagine him falling into the toilet, poor guy. I noted when we were there that he is sensitive to laughter and sometimes asked me why I was laughing.