Friday, March 13, 2009

3 Short Zach Stories

Mike and I work out at a place called Farrell's, where we do kickboxing classes and resistance bands training.  I generally work out there 5 times a week, and Zach is often very interested in what goes on there.  We've talked before about him going along and watching, but it's a 45 minute class, so I've hesitated because I have been afraid he'd get bored.  Drew hasn't been feeling well since he got his shots yesterday, and I knew Mike was pretty worn out from a long week, so I thought this might be a good opportunity to get Zach and his energy out of the house and give Mike and Drew some quiet time together. So right as I was on my way out the door to go to a kickboxing class tonight, I decided to ask Zach if he wanted to go with me.  He was ecstatic about that idea, and I think Mike was happy about it, too.  The class was pretty small tonight, and Zach just sat along the side and watched happily.  There were a few times where he tried to get me to watch something he was doing while I was punching the bag, and that wasn't so easy, but otherwise, he was great.  He got lots of compliments afterwards from other people in the class about what a good boy he was.  So in the car on the way home, I said to him, "Zach, I feel really proud of you when you're such a good boy and you follow directions like you did tonight."  And Zach said to me, "Fanks (he still has a little trouble with the th- sound).  And I'm proud of you, Mom, when you do good stuff."  I asked him, "Did I do good stuff tonight?"  Zach said, "Yeah, you did.  I saw you doing big kicks!"  Then he went on to tell me how my kicks were this big (picture his hands far apart) and other people did kicks this big (hands not as far apart).  Then he said, "You and the teacher were doing the biggest kicks."  I should take him to class with me more often- he's good for my ego! :-)

Also, the other day while Drew was napping I decided to paint my toenails.  Zach has been asking me for a few weeks to paint his, and I've managed to avoid it.  I knew when I decided to paint mine while Zach was with me would probably make him ask again, but I did it anyway.  And, just like I was afraid of, Zach decided he wanted his toenails painted, too.  I figured, hey, it's winter still, he wears shoes and socks most of the time, what the hell.  So I picked the manliest color I could find in my bag- sort of a steely purple.  I figured it wasn't as bright and colorful, and therefore would be less noticeable on both Zach's little toes and on my carpet, should he not let it dry long enough.  He thinks it looks pretty great, but he said he wants pink next time.  Now that I've done it once, I may have dug myself a hole.  Maybe we can make a deal that we only paint his toes in the winter.  


Yesterday at lunch Zach went to pick up his grilled cheese sandwich, which had been sitting on his plate for 5 minutes.  As he picked it up, he sort of gasped.  I asked what was wrong, and he said it was very hot.  I said that it couldn't still be hot, and Zach said, "I picked it up, and it's like 7 feet hot!"

1 comment:

Moira said...

I love Zach. Don't worry, Sarah, I've had many pre-school students (boys) who have come to school with their nails painted (fingers and toes). You're such a good mom for letting him try it!