Saturday, February 12, 2011

Jake at Two Months


Jake is officially 2 months old now. Time is flying! He continues to be such a great baby. I feel like I've written that line a bunch of times in this blog lately, but I just can't help it. He is a happy little guy, smiling all the time, and generally being pretty laid back. I keep trying to get a great picture of Jake smiling, but it's very difficult. He smiles at people, and if I put the camera in front of my face, he can't see me very well, and so the smiles just aren't as forthcoming. The other day Zach tried to help produce the smiles so I could get a picture. We didn't have great results. Here they are.







He is cooing more and more, and Zach and Drew love that. Drew says all the time, "Did you hear that sweet coo, Mater?" Last week Drew sat in my lap at a music class and together we held Jake and snuggled all together. Drew hadn't held Jake since the first couple of days of Jake's life, and suddenly, that day he wanted to hold Jake 2 or 3 more times. It was sweet.

A couple more attempts at big smile pictures.



In this next picture, Jake has a pretty good smile, I think. It must be the fact that Foudy is near him. She is just the sweetest dog.


When Foudy knows I'm upset (like if I'm talking in a stern voice to Zach or Drew), she is all in my face, like she's saying, "It's okay, Mom! Calm down!" She acts the same way if Jake is crying. She is right there near him. The other day I was doing something (vacuuming the dining room, I think) and Jake was in his bouncy seat. When I came back out to the living room, I saw that he was crying a little, and Foudy was sitting right in front of his seat, like she was guarding him or alerting me to the fact that something was wrong.


Jake is sleeping okay. Not great; not terrible. I was really hoping to finally be one of those moms that could say, "My baby slept through the night at 6 weeks!" Alas, that hasn't happened. I did switch him from his swing to the bassinet, and he's done better than I expected with it. The last few nights he has gotten up once to eat, around 1:00-2:00 or so, and then maybe he's been awake another time or two just needing a pacifier. I have switched him to the swing around 4:30 in the morning, and that seems to buy me a little more sleep. So he's not doing terrible, but there's definitely room for improvement. I keep telling myself that in another month or so, maybe we'll be there. He does seem to know that bedtime is different than other times that he goes to sleep. Many nights I lay him down semi-awake (he wakes up as I go to transfer him), and he lays there and goes back to sleep with only the help of a pacifier. I'm not sure yet when we'll move him to his room. Mike finally finished painting the stripes, but there are a couple of finishing touches and some general organizing to be done (his crib has a bunch of crap in it right now), and then it's ready for him. Maybe in the next couple of weeks.

Yesterday Drew and I took Jake to the doctor for his 2 month check-up. He weighed 12 lbs. 13 oz, which is a gain of 4 pounds in the last 7 weeks. That weight puts him in the 75%ile. Just for reference, at the exact same age (9 weeks), Zach weighed 12 lbs. even, and at 7 weeks 6 days, Drew weighed 12 lbs. 3 oz. So they've all been pretty close in size. I have felt lately like Jake's getting too long for the one-piece outfits he has; it seems like his toes get cramped in the little footy parts. I feel like the measuring of a baby's length isn't really an exact science, but more like a pretty close one. Jake was 23.5 inches long, which is one inch longer than Drew and Zach were and puts Jake in the 70%ile. The interesting thing is that all three boys have had the same head circumferences at each check-up thus far. At 2 weeks they all had a head circumference of 36.5 cm, and at 2 months they've all been 40.0 cm. Thankfully Jake did great at his appointment, but he did not appreciate his shots. I think having my kids get shots is way harder than getting them myself. That sad, sad crying just about does me in.

The other night our friends/neighbors Brad and Molly came over with their boys Cooper and Max to have dinner with us. Cooper is just over 3 months older than Drew, and Max is just a month younger than Max. Max was born a month premature, so he's still just a little guy. In fact, he's just about at 8 pounds, so he's still smaller than Jake was when he was born! This was the first time our whole families have had a chance to get together since Max was born. We waited until the end of the night to get a picture of the two newest boys on the block, though, and both of them were tired and hungry, so the pictures aren't great. Right after I took this first picture, Max found one of Jake's knuckles and started sucking on it. We thought it was pretty funny, but Jake (who looks like a giant next to Max) didn't think so.


We thought maybe they'd enjoy some tummy time together, but they just were not in the mood!


I know it's cliche, but it just blows my mind how quickly the time is flying by. To think that Jake is already 2 months old; it feels like I just had him! Today I put away some more of the newborn clothes that Jake hasn't been able to wear for a month or more, and even some of the 0-3 month clothes that are getting too small. As I put away some onesies today that Zach, Drew, and Jake have all worn, I felt a little twinge of sadness knowing that no more of my babies will wear them. Such a conflict of emotions- I definitely look forward to moving on from all things baby- diapers, nap schedules, nursing every 3 hours, etc.- but I also feel a little sad about being done with this stage of our lives. I guess it's a good thing Jake's only 2 months and I still have a while to get used to enjoy my last baby! And if I've said all that before, forgive me! You know what they say- each time you have a baby you deliver part of your brain with your placenta, so now that baby #3 is here, there's not much left up there with which to think!

No comments: